Monday, February 4, 2013

Train Hard, Eat Well & Don't Smoke Meth......

Nine weeks worth of strict Paleo through the holidays can be a torturous way to spend time with your family. CrossFit Rubicon issued the challenge to eat a strict Paleo diet for 9 weeks. We started by taking measurements, establishing a baseline weight and doing a series of baseline WODs in order to establish both performance gains and physical changes. As I have been eating a predominately Paleo diet for over a year, I was curious what the total omission of "treat meals" could do for me. Rachel was going much further. She reintroduced meat to her diet and more than doubled her daily intake of protein.

Since this was a Whole 30 type challenge, we had to make several adjustments to our diets. No refined sugar and no Paleo treats or paleofied versions of foods. We stuck to basics of meat, vegetables, acceptable fats, snacked on nuts and seeds, ate little fruit and never on it's own, lots of water, no alcohol or grains, little starch and the only "sweeteners" we were allowed was honey. We strictly stuck to this program. Reading labels was a common occurrence to make sure anything we bought was in the purest form and had no sugar in it. We stopped buying our normal bacon and started ordering bacon and breakfast sausage that's Whole 30 approved from U.S. Wellness Meats. Their stuff is outstanding and SUGAR FREE! We kept it pretty basic. Lots of grilled meat and roasted veggies for lunches. Eggs, bacon and hashes for breakfasts. Hard boiled eggs for snacks. Almond butter and apples for "dessert" and snacked on hazelnuts and macadamia nuts. We pre-staged all breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the week. I will say though, if it wasn't for coffee, I'd have murdered someone. Water gets old....

After sticking to this strict regimen for the whole challenge duration, the results were pretty shocking and have prompted me to re-evaluate the performance diet and only have a"treat meal" once a week. I never starved myself, I ate more than I normally do and I honestly only missed my beloved beer and the occasional slice of pizza.

Before:

Before starting the 9 week challenge. About a 75% Paleo diet.
Before Measurements:

Weight: 197 lbs.
Neck: 16"
Chest: 45"
Waist: 36"
Hips: 39.5"
R Thigh: 22"
R Calf: 16.25"
R Forearm: 12.75"
R Wrist: 7.25"
R. Bicep: 15.5"

Performance:

Strict Press: 155 lbs.
Deadlift: 405 lbs.
Squat: 265 lbs.

Max strict pull-ups: 29
Max push ups: 63
100 Burpees to bar: 12:02

Tabata row (meters): 828
Mile run: 9:07 (with regular non running leg)
400m 85 lb. Sandbag carry: 3:52

Max height box jump: 30"
"Karen": 14:00

After:

After the 9 week challenge. 100% strict Paleo
After Measurements:

Weight: 195 lbs.
Neck: 15.5"
Chest: 46.25"
Waist: 32.5"
Hips: 38.75"
R Thigh: 24"
R Calf: 16"
R Forearm: 13"
R Wrist: 7.5"
R. Bicep: 16"

Performance:

Strict Press: 170 lbs.
Deadlift: 405 lbs.
Squat: 280 lbs.

Max strict pull-ups: 29
Max push ups: 54 (hand release)
100 Burpees to bar: 9:58

Tabata row (meters): 814
Mile run: 7:00 (with regular non running leg)
400m 85 lb. Sandbag carry: 3:26

Max height box jump: 30" (mental game)
"Karen": 9:58

I have absolutely no intention on going back to the 75% Paleo diet I was working with before. I do plan to sprinkle in one "teat meal" a week but otherwise, I will remain strict paleo. The performance and physical changes are too hard to deny when you look at the tangible truth laid out above! If you want more info on the Paleo way of life, check out the Paleo tab on my blog or just send me a message!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome results Jay -- it's interesting to note some of your performance numbers stayed the same, while others yielded huge increases. What do you attribute the variance to?

    I'm proud of you and Rachel -- you guys did great! (and you need a guest post by your lovely wife to show off her outstanding performance!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let her post her performance. Some of the things stayed the same due to varying factors. The deadlift stayed the same because I shut it down at 405 but I can tell you that 405 came up VERY easy. The push ups went down because the original test I did standard push ups and the retest I did hand release. The row, I usually row with the erg set on 7, I tried this one on 10 for some dumb reason.

    The box jumps are weird. It's a mental game. I can jump on the 30 fine. Clear it by quite a bit. But if I add another plate, let's say a 10# plate, then my feet become glued to the floor. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have any restrictions on when you ate? I find that my 9pm stomach growl is hard to ignore.

    ReplyDelete