Thursday, February 21, 2013

Hard Work and Results

I remember when I used to just bench press like a madman. The bench press and my ability to run used to be my measure of fitness. I've since learned what true fitness is.

If I were to call you tomorrow and ask if you wanted to meet up for a run or if you wanted to meet up and play a little football with some friends, would you have to decline because you were busy? Or, would you decline because you don't have the level of fitness to do such activities at the drop of a hat? I've mentioned that I have run two Army Ten Milers, completed a GORUCK Challenge and shadowed four more challenges and have run 5K and 10K races without any training or preparation other than regular CrossFit. I have the level of fitness needed to do such activities without training in a specialized manner for them.

As I mentioned, I used to use the bench press as my measure for fitness. As crossfitters, we rarely bench press but trust me, it has it's merits! I still bench press at least once a week; heavy or light. This week, during a TABATA WOD, I did multiple sets of ring dips with absolutely no soreness afterwards in my chest. While form on the ring dip will force more use of your back vice triceps and chest, I attribute my ability to knock these out to my continued bench press work. The same holds true for push ups. No matter how hard I push myself on push ups, I still don't get sore in my chest.
Chest to deck at the Froning event.

Two weeks ago, during testing week, I discovered my gains from nutrition and hard work in the three CrossFit core lifts. My CrossFit total is:

Press: 170#
Back Squat: 280#
Deadlift: 405#

One lift I wanted to test but didn't was the bench press. The last time I benched in a powerlifting meet was two years ago. I benched 245# and failed on 2 attempts at 265# because either my head or ass came off the bench.

Yesterday I decided I was going to establish my 1RM in bench press. With head and ass firmly planted, 285# went up very easy. Not too bad. I failed on 295# but will get that soon enough.

All of my gains in these lifts are directly attributed to three very important factors. Factors I believe, that if followed, you simply cannot fail from.

Nutrition: You want to be an athlete? You want to be strong? Then you have to eat like it. Demand more of yourself in your food choices. In the words of my coach, mentor and friend Chef, "You wouldn't want to go pissing in the gas tank of a jet fueled dragster...." Eat lean meat, veggies and healthy fats. No refined sugar or processed foods. Little to no starch. Drink water like it's your job!

Hard work: You aren't going to get stronger without hard work. Take a scientific approach. I use the 5-3-1 method as well as linear strength progression to gain results.  Perform every lift correctly. If your form goes to shit, stop! Take mental queues while working to ensure your body is in the correct position (Squat: chest up, weight on heels, butt back, tracking your knees out over your toes....) Log everything!

Support: You need support and encouragement when you are working this hard. Tell your coach what you are doing. Engage your family and friends. Have them cheer you on when it gets heavy. I love when my athletes come to me with a new PR or even an attempt at a new PR. I love to see my athletes in the gym working on these lifts or calculating their working max from their 1RM. I tell everyone what I am doing. I want you all to know.

Hard work yields results! There is no arguing this point. If you enjoy hard work as much as I do, it's not as much hard work as it is just good old fashioned fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment