Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Where's Your Ladder Leaning?

"When climbing the ladder of success, make sure it's leaning against the right wall...."

This drove my wife's career decision. The decision to follow her heart and continue the good fight. This is driving my desire to make changes as well. Changes to make an impact on people's lives for the positive.


Coaching Heavy Ball Shouldering
When I accepted an offer to join CrossFit Rubicon in 2012 as an Intern Coach, I had no idea how this was going to shake out. Joining a new box, new family and learning to coach under the tutelage of such professionals as Chef, Ben and Rick. Little did I know that this change would yield a much larger impact than I had hoped or expected. Beyond being accepted into the Rubicon family by Chef and Hronn. Beyond learning coaching queues and the nuances of coaching newcomers vs. experienced crossfitters, I learned something greater in terms of life and happiness.

I learned that I am not content being what I am now. I am not going to be happy until I am a full time coach with the ability to teach and learn in the capacity I really do want! To make such a profound change would require the love and support of family and friends. But it would also require dedication to put in the work. Make time. Lose some sleep. All in order to help the wall I've chosen to lean my ladder against grow stronger.

Taking on greater responsibilities as well as a sense of personal ownership is ultimately what is required. Choosing to be there to help my gym grow by sacrificing a few hours on my Saturdays. Choosing to take on other responsibilities, broker partnerships and work together with other coaches to make these changes occur takes quite a bit out of an already packed schedule. As mentioned, I have the blessings and support of friends and family to do so.

Coaching Steph in her first team WOD.
I'm very happy with the growth Rubicon is experiencing and proud of my small part in it! Membership is growing and our new athletes are working hard. We've partnered with my other favorite organization, GORUCK, to become an authorized GORUCK training facility for those willing to take on a challenge. We are instructing and training people to safely get home to their loved ones with the Blauer Tactical S.P.E.A.R. system of self defense. Our planning for the phased in approach for Rubicon Kids is working. Finally, our barbell club is growing exponentially thanks to coach Ben's expertise and coaching.  Growth is truly awesome.

On a personal front, I have applied to George Mason University's B.S. in Health, Fitness and Recreation Resources program of study with a focus on Kinesiology. I have also applied for a Scholarship from the Pat Tillman Foundation. Keep your digits crossed for me!

I'm shifting that ladder to the correct wall. I'm not scared. I'm doing what I always do. Take a breath and get back on the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment