Monday, January 28, 2013

Meant For Something Else!

As crossfitters, we are generally in love with our sport. We tell everyone about it and swear by both our fitness way of life as well as our dietary knowledge we all end up learning while training at our boxes. There are also a fair amount of us who spend a vast amount of time daydreaming about how we could make a career in the business of CrossFit. I am no different.

Since I was medically retired from the Army in 2003, I have worked in the information technology industry; building a reputation as a knowledgeable and hardworking guy. In 2009, I graduated from college with a B.S. in Information Systems Security and I have numerous IT Certifications. Honestly, these things have helped me pave the way for stability with my family and have allowed me to be able to give my kids the nicer things they want. Things I never really had as a kid. Despite all of these things I have earned and achieved, I'm still not anywhere near fulfilled in my career. There are a few times a week where I am extremely happy with my work and where I can honestly say that the lines between work and play are blurred. Every day I coach, whether they are my adaptive athletes or my non-adaptive athletes, I am truly happy. When we are contacted by adaptive athletes who want help training, I am truly happy. When I coach the newcomers class on Saturday mornings; giving people their first taste of CrossFit, I am happy. During classes, the serious but also giddy joking we coaches engage in makes me feel more than at home and happy.

This weekend, I attended the CrossFit Kids Certification Course with a fellow coach from CrossFit Rubicon. As Tiffany Harrison (Tiff) and I absorbed the information we were being given, I found my mind filling with ways to start and grow the Rubicon Kids program. How to grow Rubicon. How to build a tribe in our gym where mom and dad come in and get healthier, stronger and faster while their kids are accomplishing the same thing. How to incorporate and run the Real World Six project in all of this. I already have a vested interest in my sport and my box but I have an even larger desire to help grow that business to maximum potential.

I believe I am meant for something other than IT work. Something that one of our trainers spoke about this weekend echoes in my mind right now as I write this. In fact, it's been bouncing around my noggin since he uttered the words. If it's important, crossfitters always seem to figure out a way to get it done. Now for me to figure out a way to best use my talents and abilities to enrich peoples lives and teach their kids life skills. It's time for me to make a serious difference. It's time for me to make it work, figure out a way to impact people as much as I can and for me to build a tribe in our gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment