Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2012.....A Year in Review

As 2013 begins and we all struggle to capture our goals for the year and begin trying to achieve them, I took some time to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard if you want the literal version of what I am doing.....) in reflection of a great year for me!

Coaching Steph Hammerman at CrossFit Rubicon
To start, this year helped me to come to the reality that I am meant to do so much more than what I have done with my life up to this point. Being a father and husband to my wife is my most important job in life but a very VERY close second is being a coach to the adaptive and non-adaptive CrossFit community. You can say I drank the Kool-aid but I like to think I found a community where I can truly help people!

CrossFit Walter Reed and CrossFit Rubicon:

After joining CrossFit Reston in 2011, I met Christy Phillips (CF Games Competitor) who introduced me to Brian Wilson and the CrossFit Walter Reed project. I began working out once a week at CF Walter Reed and almost instantly knew I wanted to be more than just an athlete in the CrossFit community. Armed with the goal of getting to work with the Wounded Warriors, I told Brian that I wanted to coach. About the same time, Maggie Dabe, owner and coach at CrossFit Reston offered a scholarship to the Level 1 certification CF Reston was holding in July. After completing the certification I officially joined CF Walter Reed as a coach and began interning at CF Rubicon with Chef and Hronn Wallach. CF Rubicon has already established themselves as a supporter of the Working Wounded community by training those injured in the line of duty, either military or law enforcement/fire department and their families for $1 a month. Unheard of in the CrossFit world! I have continued coaching at CF Walter Reed and have had the opportunity to meet and coach some outstanding military members and Wounded Warriors. The gift of feeling like I am back in the Non-commissioned role I left the Army in, is priceless and I don't think any of them know just how much it means to me.

Rubicon athletes at Balston CF's Rich Froning event.
In joining the CF Rubicon family, I joined a family of dedicated athletic warriors. One such person has become my motivation by simple virtue of his tenacity and drive. I met Matt Ramsey finally at the 2012 CrossFit Games Regional and started corresponding with him about adaptive crossfitting. It was even more interesting finding out that both Matt and I are former 10th MTN Div soldiers. As his coach and friend I have had the chance to both compete against Matt in the 2012 Working Wounded Games as well as compete on a team with him in CF Liberation's Cold War 2 competition. We also joined forces along side other Rubicon athletes in a charity event at Ballston CrossFit where we worked out on a team with the 2011 and 2012 CrossFit Games male champion, Rich Froning.

Coaching with Chef wt CrossFit Rubicon.
Coaching has become a passion of mine and I love working with our athletes, both adaptive and non-adaptive. I really wouldn't be half the coach I am though without the coaches I've encountered in the past but more importantly, without the friendship and mentoring from Chef and Hronn Wallach, Ben Chismar, Coach Rick, BJ Peyton, Mark Tippett, Mike Riggs, Tiffany Harrison (bad ass ginger) and all of my fellow coaches at Rubicon.

GORUCK

In June of 2012, I had the honor of joining well over 100 other participants in a GORUCK Challenge in D.C. Little did I know that:
1. This was an indoctrination into another branch of my extended family.
2. This was a cadre reunion which meant an extra hour or so of abuse before we even started.
3. (This is probably the more important point) Running through the streets of D.C. barefooted with a ruck on your back (and sometimes front) sucks balls!!!

After completing the GORUCK Challenge, in June, I've shadowed a few others including the July 4th D.C. Challenge where I extended my GORUCK family tree as well as had the honor of meeting an outstanding individual who made a profound impression on me. I met Atom Ziniewicz, former U.S. Army SOF Operator and Owner of CrossFit Liberation. As a crossfitter I picked Atom's brain and he took all the time he could to discuss programming, coaching and even box owning with me. Afterwards, he even reached out to me to make sure I knew I could count on him to answer any questions I had. We tragically lost Atom this year and both CF Liberation and CF Rubicon were rocked by his loss. I took the time to honor Atom along with his CF Liberation extended family in a memorial WOD that was brutal but worth it.

Working Wounded Games 2012:

This year we held the first annual Working Wounded Games where adaptive crossfitters gathered to compete in the first CrossFit styled competition for adaptive athletes. From limb dysfunction to amputees to those who have suffered traumatic brain injuries; we battled it out for three WODs before moving onto a surprise static row for calories where we rowed using only our arms. It was a hard fought day filled with camaraderie, blood and sweat. 
Static row at the Working Wounded Games 2012.
A congenital arm amputee, multiple lower extremity amputees from the armed forces, a blind amputee from an auto accident, service members who suffered traumatic brain injuries, limb dysfunction and other amputees all descended on CF Rubicon and battled it out. The biggest takeaway of the day though was how inspirational all of these athletes are. When you watch an adaptive athlete perform, you can't help but be impressed. You also can't help but to dismiss any of your prior excuse.

With buzz already starting to build for WWG 2013, a video appeared on the CrossFit HQ main page which has already exploded all over the CrossFit community and social media outlets. The video, created by Gary Roberts, highlights the amputees at WWG 2012. It's an insight into adaptations and fitness as an amputee. It's worth the 30 minutes to watch: http://journal.crossfit.com/2013/01/evolutionadaptation.tpl#featureArticleTitle

What did I do this year, by the numbers.........

Team 6ft of Rubicon at Cold War 2
CrossFit:

Level 1 Certification Course
Memorial Day Murph
31 Heroes
CrossFit for Hope
Barbells for Boobs
Atom's Memorial WOD
Fight for Mike 
Working Wounded Games 2012
Cold War 2
Rich Froning Event for No Greater Cause
Coach at CrossFit Walter Reed
Coach at CrossFit Rubicon
Joined Team RWB and WOD for Warriors
Holiday WOD and ANC Ruck

GORUCK:

June 15th GORUCK Challenge Class 187
Shadowed July 4th GRC Washington D.C.
Shadowed Oct GRC in Richmond, VA
31 Miles for 31 Heroes
Holiday WOD and ANC Ruck

Running:

Army Ten Miler

This year has taught me humility and pride. Everyday I coach CrossFit, I learn more about myself while I reaffirm that I am more than just Jason the IT guy. Every time I go on a ruck with my GORUCK family and see another GRT in need and the support they get, I miss my rucktards even more. I've extended my family far beyond where I thought I would from the GORUCK events to the various CrossFit boxes I visit for events, competitions and just to workout! 


No comments:

Post a Comment