Friday, November 9, 2012

What a Difference....

I have made a huge transition of the past three years, not just in the way I look and feel but also in my overall performance as an athlete. I do consider myself an athlete. How else would you label someone who does CrossFit five days a week, run races, does GORUCK events and generally will sign up for any event involving exercise and a t-shirt? (We all know I am a t-shirt whore....)

My transition is evident by the results from my last three years in The Army Ten Miler (ATM). The ATM is my sole annual race. Another interesting fact (I know, I sound like a bit of a fanboy here) is the increase in performance based solely on CrossFit training. Food for thought:

2010 I signed up for The ATM and trained through a series of races. Up until that point, I had only run a few 5K races since becoming an amputee and learning how to run again. My training consisted of several training runs and 5K races and a 10K race.

2011 I signed up for The ATM once again but forgot. I received the email notice a couple of weeks before about packet pick up but never trained. I had been doing CrossFit with the normal short distance interval runs but nothing of distance.

2012 I signed up for The ATM again but didn't even attempt to train. Just CrossFit.

What was the result of this training plan?

2010 Finished in 1:44:48 with a 10K split of 60:21
2011 Finished in 1:39:29 with a 10K split of 58:39
2012 Finished in 1:30:10 with a 10K split of 56:45

Additionally, I lost nearly 50 lbs. since beginning CrossFit, not to mention the massive transformation in body image.

My training regimen is as follows:

Training: CrossFit with sporadic shorter distance runs sprinkled in. I also do some "nonfunctional" movements as described by CFHQ. I also participate in any event I can that involves charity, exercise and a t-shirt....... Okay........and beer.

Nutrition: I follow these guidelines, generally. (1) Eat real food (lean meat, veggies, some fruit and dairy, little starch and no grains except the mentioned beer). I save my "cheat/treat" meals for beer and mostly pizza. (2) Read labels and don't eat what you can't pronounce. That's pretty much it. Notice how simple that is!!?? It's not rocket surgery people!

Anyone have an event with a t-shirt for me!?

No comments:

Post a Comment