Monday, November 5, 2012

Preparing for Battle.......

As November 10th draws closer and the impending challenge of competing in the Working Wounded Games (http://www.cvent.com/events/working-wounded-games/event-summary-4befd8bcca364480bed3e0e29efa4860.aspx) looms over my head, I find myself preparing for battle while analyzing my personal strengths and weaknesses.
Chest to deck Pushups during Tabata at Balston CrossFit.


Time and time again, I am my own biggest critic. I know I don't open up my hips all the way on some lifts. I know I lose mid-line stability on Overhead Squats. I know I sometimes will take an extra breath or two during a METCON when I could be working. But I also know I am strong and that I love competition. I know that I can and often do perform much better when I have a hare. Someone to chase down.

I have ramped up my weekly workouts and refocused as of late. Coaching, a full time career and family often get in the way of working out. However, with the support of friends and family, I have been diving deeper into the murky waters of being generally prepared for anything.

WODs:

I drew three WODs for the games which I feel may play to my strong suits while providing me with ample opportunity to not only compete against the other athletes but also to see just how I measure up.  I drew the Yoke, One Armed Deadlift and the One Armed Sled Pull. All athletes also have to perform a mystery WOD which will be announced the Friday before the games.

I will spend this week going over some mobility work and doing some last minute WODs and preparations for what I am expected to do. Honestly, I am a bit silly with excitement. My personal expectations are high but I also expect to face stiff competition by my competitors. After all, we are adaptive athletes. We have more heart than those labeled as "able bodied". We work hard to prove to ourselves and others that we're not done. We haven't thrown in the towel and we will never quit.

Excitement for the Future:

After the games, hopefully, I will be working with a couple of other adaptive crossfitters and putting together a team of competitors to go out to CrossFit events and compete on a higher level. There's lots of work to be done. Lots of training to be dialed in and loads of education to take place but I am confident that we can compete with others. Not just the adaptive athletes. My goal......when you look on the list of competitors for an event, you get a little nervous to see our names! 

2 comments:

  1. I am honored to face you on the field of CF battle... And when I saw your name on the list of competitors, I got more than a little nervous brother! Let's get some!!!

    -Mark L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff man. Ultimately what's next is you seeing what you suck at and program more of that.

    ReplyDelete