Wednesday, July 25, 2012

When in Springfield........

What do CrossFitters do on vacation? They visit other boxes! At least sometimes we do. While I was in the Army, I had the chance to meet several folks who helped to make Fort Drum a much more tolerable place to be. I have carefully chosen the ones I want to remain in contact with. While visiting two of these friends in Springfield, MO, I had the chance to visit their box. My friends, Chris and Niki have consumed the Kool-Aid and are CrossFitters now and have made huge changes in their lives with regard to fitness.

My first impression of CrossFit Springfield was that this was a very typical looking CrossFit box. Rubber and concrete floors, pull-up rig, plyo boxes, weights and bars. But as I walked in and got the typical stare of "what is this guy going to do" I noticed I was also being actively welcomed by both coaches and athletes. Honestly, I am pretty sure that even if I were not friends with two of their members, I'd still be received as positively as I was. As with most CrossFit boxes, examination of the whiteboard showed that the evening classes were the busiest. I noticed that even though we had around 20+ people in class, there were still at least two coaches there to coach, demonstrate and assist in the WOD.

WOD 1:

Warm up was a brisk 600m run along with some push-up/gymnastic fun courtesy of Coach Meggin.

Rachel and Jason Sturm @ CrossFit Springfield in
Springfield Missouri
WOD: Thrusters 135# and Ring Rows. Start with 1 Thruster followed by 10 Ring Rows. Increase by 1 Thruster for each round ensuring that you perform 10 Ring Rows between rounds. Continue until you complete 10 rounds (Final Round will be 10 Thrusters and 10 Ring Rows)

Completion: I scaled this WOD because I still have some issues with heavier Thrusters (95# Thrusters for me) and the class was larger so to save time (instead of waiting around waiting for rings to open up) I substituted Push Ups for the Ring Rows. A bonus to this WOD was my wife Rachel was in the box for her first CF WOD (I'm not allowed to get excited though). My time was 15:13 with the wall being met at round 6.

WOD 2:

Warm up was a nice little rowing sprint for 4 minutes followed by 5 Pull-ups, 10 sit-ups & 25 Burpees; decreasing Burpees each round until you complete. 10 minute cap.
Jason with 315# Mixed Grip/3 Reps

STRENGTH:
Deadlift 5x3: 225, 275, 295, 315, 335

WOD:
2000m Row for time: 7:36 Rx'd

Overall, I have to say that CrossFit Springfield is an outstanding gym . Friendly staff, great area for the kids to play while parents workout, very capable coaches and a hearty competitive spirit from it's members. If you're ever in the area, pay them a visit.

http://crossfit-springfield.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment