Thursday, July 5, 2012

Suffer in Silence. No Bitch Noises.......

Long before any of you were awake on the 4th of July, I was standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. As people prepared themselves mentally with idle chatter about what to expect and prepared themselves physically through stretching and jogging about, I stood there, pack on my back, 24 pack of Yuengling in my hands (entry key for the cadre) and anxiously awaited the beginning of the Washington D.C. 1012 July 4th GORUCK Challenge. Having completed my first (and probably not my last) GRC in June, I was able to shadow and take pictures and hang out all day with the cadre and observe the madness. This wasn't just about that. My friend and fellow wounded warrior Mark Lytel was participating in this GRC. As soon as I heard he was doing the July 4th GRC, I told my wife, I want to shadow. I want to be there to try to provide moral support but also, I wanted to be there and tell him at the end (because there was never a doubt in my mind that he'd finish) welcome to his new family!

Mark showed up and I noticed him receiving the same kind of stares I got when I arrived to my GRC. The kind of stares amputees are used to. The stares of people trying to figure out just how we are going to do at this event. An almost sizing up of your toughness. Mark and I joked around about how the bipeds are cheaters and about how I only half cheat because I am a monoped. This type of joking is generally saved for those of us with missing limbs. You see folks, Mark is a dual below-knee amputee. What balance and stability I have as a single leg amputee, you can toss out the window when it comes to dual amputees.

Mark Lytel. Gator walking and bear crawling in front of the
White House. July 4th, 2012.
Mark never asked for, nor did he receive preferential treatment throughout the entire event. Through every challenge and obstacle, he persevered. He never quit. I suspect that's because he is a part of a rare breed of human. A breed who was knocked down and expected not to get up. We, we didn't get that memo. We rose from the ashes like the Phoenix and in the words of Cadre Lou, we kicked in the door and punched anything standing in our way square in the mouth. Mark embodied this grit and "never quit" attitude throughout the blistering heat, mental and physical challenges and did most, if not all of this, with that gigantic grin on his face.

I'm proud to have shared that moment with you Mark and can't wait till we can sit down and have a beer and joke about it. Outstanding work my friend and welcome to the family!

GRC Class 201, Independence Day, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment