Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Baaaa Baaaa Black Sheep Fell Into My Slow Cooker!

I am literally kicking myself for not taking pictures of this recipe through the prep and cooking process. I guess I'll just have to make it again and post them up! 

First. Not all meat is created equal. Understand this; it'll save you a lot of frustration and long term health problems in the long run. I recently started buying my meat from Fields of Athenry http://fieldsofathenryfarm.com/ A farm local to my area. They deliver and their meat is amazing! You can buy your meat from your local grocery store. You can even go so far as to buy the organic variety. What you need to understand is that a lot of organic meat, specifically beef, is still fed a diet that is not natural to them. Corn is not what cows naturally eat. Whenever possible, even if you buy meat from a grocer, buy organic grass fed beef and lamb. Buy free range chicken that is fed a natural diet. Not just organic. Pay attention to your meat! (Yeah yeah. Stop giggling...)

Without further ado, a nice little recipe for Lamb Shoulder. 


Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 hours
Servings: 5-7 or lunch and breakfast all week!

Ingredients:
3-5 lb. Lamb Shoulder
2 Medium white onions
1 Cup organic beef or chicken stock
1 Tbsp each of Kosher/Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper & Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
Large Slow Cooker

Prep:
I leave all fat on the lamb shoulder as this helps to make the meat fall-off-the-bone awesome. You may have to slightly trim the lamb shoulder to get it to fit in your slow cooker. Feel free to do so, but DO NOT discard anything you trim off. Mix the dry spices in a small prep bowl and generously rub over the entire surface of the meat. (I know, giggle giggle.......) Set the meat aside.

Slice onions and scatter in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the lamb shoulder, fatty side down in the slow cooker on top of the onions. Pour the broth into the slow cooker (try not to pour over the meat as you'll wash off the rub). Cover the slow cooker and set the timer to cook for 10 hours.

Serving:
Once the lamb shoulder is done, using tongs, pull the meat from the slow cooker and place on a plate. You should be able to simply pull the bones out and discard or keep if you want to make soup. Trim off the fat and enjoy! I served mine with roasted Asparagus but you can pretty much serve however you like. Since my wife doesn't eat meat, I have plenty of this for lunches and breakfast throughout the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment