Thursday, November 15, 2012

If You Could?

If you had the power to change the past, would you? Think about that. What would you change? Would you change the divorce your family endured? Maybe you wouldn't have married your first wife/husband? Would you have studied more in school to affect changes in your future endeavors in the corporate world? This is a powerful question! Would you change the past no matter how it impacts the future?

I was asked if I would go back in time in order to not be injured in the training accident that claimed my leg and military career. You know; if you could go back to make a change, would you? In short, no. You see, changing my injury would change not just a major part of who I am but it would change the life and career I want to pursue.

As a soldier and NCO, I took care of my soldiers. I ensured they had what they needed. I made sure they were well trained and I made absolutely certain I understood any issues they may have been facing. Financial issues. Personal issues. Anything. It wasn't the injury and the physical pain that took the most toll on me when I was injured. It was not being able to be there for my soldiers. It was the thought of them carrying on in their careers without knowing I was right there for them. The injury never laid heavily on my heart. Anyone can get over that. It was the feeling that I had abandoned them.

This is why I enjoy being a CrossFit coach so much. I especially love coaching the working wounded at CrossFit Walter Reed. I look at each of them as my soldiers. One of the proudest moments I have had in a very long time was watching two of my Marines compete this past weekend in the Working Wounded Games. Jake and Murphy showed up and fought hard. They laid it all out there and never once quit. I felt a lot of pride knowing I had a hand in helping prepare them. I love watching the changes they've made in the box since they began working out there. Their tenacity impresses me and makes me feel like I am an NCO again.

Would I go back and change my injury knowing what I have an opportunity to be a part of? No! No thanks. I'll take the dice that have been rolled and go all in. These guys don't know it yet, but they have helped me so much more than I could ever help them.

Working Wounded Games 2012
Fight the good fight Devil Dogs! Your old pogue of an Army coach will always be here for you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment